With work pressure in everyday life, we understand your problems of having to squeeze ineffective workouts. Chances are high that you are more likely to not even consider working out because of not enough time to commit. But as we all know how important staying fit is in today’s time, finding yourself some time to stay in shape is not a bad idea at all. Here we have rounded up some of easy 3-day workout split routines that will help you stay in great shape without committing much time.
Awesome 3-Day Split Workout Solution For Those Who Want To Hit A Full Body Workout!!
1. Bulldozer training: A variation of the 3-day workout routine that works
This 3-day split routine is recommended for intermediates and is generally advised to be followed for 8 weeks. After which you can decide to continue or develop upon it. Here are the details.
A variation of the Rest-Pause method, the Bulldozer training makes use of shorter rest periods to give you a more intense workout than other forms of workout. This 3-day split workout incorporates 15 to 30 seconds of rest between sets that allow you to have an intense workout every time you train.
Another key feature of this variation on the 3-day workout split is its full-body workout plan training aspect where you can comfortably train multiple body parts one day and then rest for the next day, moving on with a different set of muscle groups the day after. The fun part of the 3-day full body split workout is that you can arrange and set your muscle groups accordingly as your preference. The general method, however, is to train in the push-pull-legs scheme, where you train your push, pull and leg muscles in successive training days. The following contains a sample training template with muscle groups that you can train over the week as part of the 3-day workout split.
Friday: Quads, Hamstrings, Calves, and Abdominals
Even though it is a 3-day split, you necessarily do not have to do it only over 3 days, you can also do some light workout on Sunday, for example, light cardio to refresh your fatigued muscles.
Notes: Because of each workout will be of shorter durations, you will need to be prepared for muscle fatigue. Also, since rep ranges are higher with shorter durations for rest, you will have to consider how light or heavy you want to go with the exercise sets; we recommend being able to pick a weight that you are comfortable with moving for 10 to 12 sets.
2. 3-day split workout routine
This workout is primarily recommended for beginners who are starting out and who need to consider how their body responds to weights. The 3-day full body split works for them as it primes their bodies to take up more intense workouts that focus on specific groups of muscle over the week. This also works appropriately for people who had taken a break from working out for more than 3 weeks and need to get back to training.
One of the biggest advantages of 3-day full body split routines is that it helps people crunched for time to get the best bang for the buck. As you train specific muscles from each body part, you also have a more holistic workout that is likely to help you stay lean. The heart rate spikes and because of the limited intensity, you do not feel fatigued at the end of the workout, rather, refreshed because of the workout that you performed. Below is a sample workout that you can try over 6 weeks to prime your body for intensive successive body part specific workouts.
- Chest: Barbell Bench Press, 10 to 12 reps over 4 sets.
- Back: Row variation including Bent over row or Renegade Row, 8 to 10 reps over 4 sets.
- Shoulders: Military Press, seated or standing, 10 to 12 reps over 4 sets
- Legs: Barbell Squats, 8 reps over 4 sets
- Arms: EZ Bar curls, 15 reps over 4 sets and Rope Pushdowns, 15-20 reps over 4 sets.
- Abs: Leg Raises: 30 reps over 3 sets
Day 2: Off
- Back: Lat Pull Dows, 10-12 reps over 4 sets
- Biceps: Dumbbell Curls, 10 reps over 4 sets
- Chest: Dumbbell Press, inclined, 10-12 reps over 4 sets
- Triceps: Triceps Extensions, 20 reps over 4 sets
- Shoulders: Arnold Press, 12 reps over 4 sets
- Leg: Crunches, 30 reps over 3 sets
Day 4: Off
- Abs: Bicycle Crunches, 30 reps over 3 sets
- Triceps: Skull Crushers, 15 reps over 4 sets
- Biceps: Preacher or Concentration Curls, 12 reps over 4 sets
- Back: Bent over row, Dumbbell variation, 10 reps alternate arms through 4 sets
- Shoulders: Lateral raises, 20 reps over 4 sets
- Legs: Calf raises, 20-30 reps over 4 sets
- Chest: Incline Chest Flyes, 12-15 reps over 4 sets
Note: Since you will be working out specific muscle groups over the week through the 3-day split workout routine, make sure that you properly warm up first before every workout. Also, it will be taxing if you do not keep yourself hydrated properly. So, ensure that you get your water intake in place throughout the length of the workout.
3. A 3-day split workout routine: Push-Pull-Legs Workout 1
As we have already noted about the Bulldozer training, clustering Push, Pull and Legs muscles in particular days over the week over the 3 days split workout is effective because it trains your body for the muscles that get used simultaneously. This plan is different from the Bulldozer training in that this uses alternate days of HIIT Cardio or High-Intensity Interval Training, which can include short bursts of a sprint or swimming laps covering a distance in the shortest possible time, in between your workout days. This works as this would be intense and a great way to get shredded over time. Accordingly, this works for beginners who are looking for a super fun way to kick start their training with 3 days split workout routines. Below is a sample workout routine that you can adjust over time and according to your needs.
Related Article: Best Cardio Workout: The Best Option for Fitness
Related Article: Best Chest Workout: Follow The 9 Chest Exercises
Day 1: Legs:
- Barbell Front Squats or Barbell Lunges: 4 to 6 reps for 4 sets
- Romanian Deadlifts or Good Mornings: 6 to 10 reps for 3 sets
- Barbell Standing Calf Raises: 6 to 10 reps for 3 sets
- Crunches, weighted or Hanging Leg Raises: 8 to 15 reps for 3 sets
Day 2: HIIT Cardio
Day 3: Push:
- Dumbbell Flat Bench Press or Barbell Incline Press: 4 to 6 reps for 4 sets
- Dumbbell Seated Shoulder Press or Barbell Push Press: 6 to 10 reps for 3 sets
- Triceps Extension variation or Close Grip Bench Press: 6 to 10 reps for 3 sets
Day 4: HIIT Cardio
Day 5: Pull:
- Deadlifts: 4 to 6 reps for 4 sets
- Cable Rows: 6 to 10 reps for 3 sets
- Preacher Curls: 8 to 12 reps for 3 sets
Day 6: HIIT Cardio
Day 7: Off
Note: As you can see this 3 day split workout routine is intense even though it is meant for beginners. We suggest you have a specific and short warm-up routine every day both on training and cardio days to keep your muscles primed for the intensive session.
4. 3-days Split Push-Pull-Legs Workout 2
The Push, Pull and Legs scheme is effective for the 3-day split routine as it works for different muscle groups on different days and is also proper for those of you with limited time to commit to daily, grueling sessions of training. For beginners, we suggest to stick to the basic hypertrophy rep and set scheme of 10-12 reps for 3-4 sets for the auxiliary exercises. The weights should be lighter at the beginning of the workout with successive progressions throughout the course of the muscle group training. For compound lifts, that should ideally start off your workout, we advise you to go heavier and stick to the 8 rep x 3 sets scheme to build strength. Warming up is important for both the lighter and heavier exercises. So, ensure that you have your warm-up and mobility drills in check before you start out lifting. Below, we give you a sample 3 day workout split routine involving another variation of the Push-Pull-Legs scheme.
Related Article: 10 Top Female Fitness Models To Get Motivation
Day 1: Chest, Triceps, and Shoulders
- Compound Exercise 1, like Barbell Bench Press: 3 sets of 8-10 reps
- Compound Exercise 2, like Incline Barbell Bench Press: 3 sets of 8-10 reps
- Auxiliary Exercise 1, like Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 8 reps
- Auxiliary Exercise 2, like Dumbbell Lateral Raise: 3 sets of 15 reps
- Auxiliary Exercise 3, like Cable One Arm Extension: 3 sets of 15 reps
Day 2: Off
Day 3: Back and Biceps
- Compound Exercise 1, like Barbell Deadlift: 3 sets of 8 reps
- Compound Exercise 2, like Seated Machine Row: 3 sets of 10 reps
- Auxiliary Exercise 1, like Pull-ups: 3 sets of 8 reps
- Auxiliary Exercise 2, like Barbell Shrug: 3 sets of 15 reps
- Auxiliary Exercise 3, like Preacher Curls: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Auxiliary Exercise 4, like Dumbbell Alternate Hammer Curls: 3 sets of 12 reps
Day 4: Off
Day 5: Legs
- Compound Exercise 1, like Barbell Squat: 3 sets of 10 reps
- Compound Exercise 2, like Leg Press: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Auxiliary Exercise 1, like Leg Extensions: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Auxiliary Exercise 2, like Seated Leg Curls: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Auxiliary Exercise 3, like Bodyweight Lunge: 3 sets of 20 reps for each leg
Note: We know that you will be fatigued in each of the workout sessions in this 3-day split workout routine. Keeping your rest times shorter, for 30 to 45 seconds, for the auxiliary exercises and slightly longer, for 60 to 75 seconds, for the compound exercises will help you stay relatively fresher and help you move on with consistency without compromising on forms.
Related Article: Why Aerobic Exercise Are Vital?
5. 3-days full body workout: Upper-Lower Split
The upper-lower split is another form of training that, you have guessed it right, works effectively to give a proper 3-day full-body workout split throughout the weeks to move through your different muscle groups. This form of routine works as it helps you to train two major groups, upper and lower, alternatively through the week and for the consecutive weeks you can focus on the other portion. For example, you can start off with upper body workouts two times in the first week with the second week having two lower body workouts sessions. The 3-day split workout will help you focus on your lagging body parts by making you train that specific group of muscles twice every week; so you can adapt it accordingly. Following is a sample workout that you can check out to kick start your 3-day workout split if you are crunched for time.
Upper Body Days:
- Weighted Dips or Incline Bench Press: 6 reps for 5 sets
- Bent Over Rows or Chin-ups: 8 reps for 3 sets
- Close-Grip Bench Press or Skull Crushers: 12 reps for 3 sets
- Curls: 12 reps for 3 sets
- Crunches or Hanging Leg Raises: 12 reps for 3 sets
Lower Body Days:
- Low Box Squats or Sumo Deadlifts: 6 reps for 5 sets
- Split Squats or Dumbbell Lunges: 15 reps, each leg, for 3 sets
- Reverse Hyperextension or Hinge specific movements: 15 reps for 3 sets
- Cable Woodchoppers: 12 reps for 3 sets
The routine can be as follows:
- Day 1: Upper
- Day 2: Off
- Day 3: Lower
- Day 4: Off
- Day 5: Upper
- Day 6: Off
- Day 7: Off
- Day 1: Lower
- Day 2: Off
- Day 3: Upper
- Day 4: Off
- Day 5: Lower
- Day 6: Off
- Day 7: Off
Related Article: Best Glute Workout-Butt Exercise For A Super Toned Hip and Back
Related Article: 10 Best Supplements For Women To Maintain Their Health
Some questions that you might have about the 3-day workout split.
Question: Why consider a 3-day split?
Ans. Simply because this works. Now, you would not find professional fitness models using the same technique, but for regular athletes and those in professional-level sports, this technique works.
Question: Should I do this to maintain or to bulk and cut?
Ans. This has to do with what your diet is like. If you are looking to bulk you should have more calories and to cut, a calorie deficit. In order to maintain, you should be able to find the balance.
Question: Do I need to take supplements?
Ans. Again, this rests on what you want to achieve. We suggest that a 3-day workout split works for those who want to stay natural and the supplements will help you achieve that. And by supplements, we do not mean steroids.
There you have it. 5 types of 3-days workout split routines that will be effective in keeping you in great shape without you having to commit much time in grueling sessions. These 3-days split workout regimens work as it will focus on all the major body parts with you having a super fun session as well.